Stepping Stones is a Shanghai-based volunteering organization with a mission to improve the education and general welfare of disadvantaged children in China. We train and support hundreds of volunteers to teach English, digital literacy and other subjects to thousands of disadvantaged students every week at dozens of project sites in Shanghai and rural China.
We are currently looking for a Finance Officer to handle the routine finance and admin work in a busy and dynamic office. The new staff member will be part of a team of five operations staff. The precise job description will depend on the candidate’s abilities and experience, and will include most but not necessarily all of the responsibilities listed below. We provide a friendly work environment with a multicultural team, and opportunities to learn about the non-profit / volunteering / educational sector.
1. Finance & HR
- Prepare payroll, handle salary payments, social security payments, expenses. reimbursement & payments to suppliers.
- Cash management, banking.
- Prepare finance reports.
- Manage the formal hiring process of local staff.
- New staff and interns’ finance orientation.
- Assist Operations Director with annual audits and annual returns.
- Coordinate sales of merchandise, track merchandise inventory.
- Issue receipts, donation certificates, and thank-you letters.
2. LEGAL & ADMIN
- Handle office purchasing and printing jobs, e.g. banners, flyers, bags, t-shirts, other merchandise.
- Help Operations Director to manage Shanghai Board of Directors.
- Assist in communications with Stepping Stones’ government partners in Shanghai.
- Assist with registration and maintenance of Shanghai entities (and on-going reporting needs).
- Work with IT consultant to maintain office IT.
- Work with the staff team to maintain a safe and tidy office environment.
- University-level education in a finance-related major, preferably with some relevant work experience;
- Native Chinese, with good English skills;
- Committed to the goals of Stepping Stones, interested in volunteerism and the non-profit sector.
- Smart, self-motivated, quick to learn, well-organised and with a positive attitude.
- Capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing.
- I.T. competent.
- Able to provide references from university professor/current employer to prove trustworthiness with confidential information.
- Commitment of at least one year, with the potential to extend the term of employment upon mutual agreement
- Occasional weekend and evening work may be required. Where overtime is worked, staff are encouraged to take time off in lieu.
- Stepping Stones is unable to provide work permits, visas or accommodation, so candidates need to have the right to reside in Shanghai and to be able to organise their own accommodation.
- Remuneration will be at local market levels in the non-profit sector and take into consideration the skills and experience of the successful applicant. Social welfare benefits will be provided. Stepping Stones is unable to cover relocation costs.
- As soon as possible, preferably November 2022.
- 2nd floor, no. 75, Le Shan road, Xuhui District, Shanghai.
- Interested candidates should send their resume to email@example.com along with a cover letter explaining their motivation for applying for this work and their suitability for the position.