This is Stepping Stones’ very first program, started in October 2006 in Aixin School for Migrant Children in Minhang. Since then, hundreds of volunteers have joined us each year to help tens of thousands of children and youth to meet challenges in their English education. The needs have evolved over the years, but there are still many children and youth in Shanghai who would benefit from your help today!
- Description: Volunteers are needed to teach fun English lessons to disadvantaged children and youth in Shanghai. Each class has about 10 – 30 children at community centers and 40 – 50 students at migrant schools. Volunteers teach in teams with a minimum of two volunteers per teaching team.
- Time commitment: A minimum of one school term (3-4 months) or 4-8 weeks during the summer. Weekday and weekend classes all available. Volunteers are expected to commit to 4-5 hours per week (including commute and/or lesson preparation time).
- Requirements: Minimum 18 years old (16 years old and above can be considered with parental consent in written after submitting a statement of interest and attending an interview). Speaking English well and confidently (native-level English NOT required); enjoying interacting with children and young adults.
- Location: Migrant schools, kindergarten and community centers in Shanghai and Zhejiang Province. Travel may be required, as most of the program sites are not in downtown Shanghai. Please allocate 30 minutes to 1.5-hour travel time depending on your departure point.
- Training, resources & support provided by Stepping Stones. Training sessions are about teaching English, lesson planning, classroom management techniques, etc. Training sessions are generally offered in September/October, February and June/July every year.