With funding from Shanghai Charity Foundation and Jiaqi Foundation, and at the invitation of our partner schools, Stepping Stones has been training teachers at our partner schools since 2016. This program aims to improve the quality of English education at migrant schools and increase the English teachers’ confidence to use English in class, as well as to improve their teaching methodology for English practice activities.
Each trainee receives 6-8 three-hour training sessions on teaching methodology and English activities, supplemented by oral English practice delivered by volunteers.
Teachers’ English Corner – Shanghai
- Description: Teachers’ English Corner (TEC) Volunteers help English teachers for migrant children in Shanghai to improve their oral English confidence, thus helping them teach their students better. Volunteers are responsible for delivering one-hour English language corners to local teachers. Group size is generally from 4-10 teachers.
- Time commitment: Half a day per week or every other week, depending on the preference of the school (including preparation and commute time), during school hours, and for a minimum of one school term (3-4 months).
- Requirements: Fluent or native level of English; interest in communicating the English language to teachers. Good at interacting with adults, patient, understanding and respectful.
- Location: Migrant schools or kindergarten in Shanghai. Travel may be required, as most of the program sites are not in downtown Shanghai. Please allocate 30 minutes to 1.5-hour travel time depending on your departure point.
- Training & support provided by Stepping Stones.