This program started in February 2020, when the Covid-19 virus outbreak prevented students from attending their regular schools, and proved so popular that we continued after the children returned to school. Volunteers teach children in their own homes in groups of six.
1. Teaching English through the internet
- Description: Volunteers will teach 30 minute English lessons online through the Classin platform to up to 6 school-aged children (ages 7 to 18) in their own homes. Stepping Stones will provide all the resources required to teach the lesson.
- Time commitment: 2 hours per week (including lesson preparation time) and a minimum of ten weeks. Volunteers are responsible for delivering two 30-minute lesson(s) per week. Teaching schedule is flexible based on volunteers’ and students’ availability. Volunteers living overseas can also sign up! Classes are on weekday evenings from 7pm to 9pm (China time zone).
- Requirements: Fluent or native level of English; interest in communicating the English language to new learners; 18 years old and above; technically competent; must attend the training session organized by Stepping Stones.
- Location: Students’ homes through the internet.
- Training & support provided by Stepping Stones.
2. Volunteer as a Home Classroom Coordinator (Online)
- Description: Coordinate and liaise with students, parents & volunteer teachers as well as act as a classroom assistant, occasionally stepping in as substitute teacher. Duties include taking care of 4-5 WeChat groups with the parents, sending students’ name list to the volunteer teacher, attending the online classes, leading an ice-breaker, helping with translation if needed, resolving technical issues, checking students’ attendance, ensuring that classes run smoothly and keeping in regular contact with Stepping Stones’ staff.
- Time commitment: Minimum of four lessons per week, from 7pm-9pm on weekday evenings (China time zone), for 12 weeks. Occasional contact via Classin and WeChat between classes.
- Requirements: Native Chinese speakers, 16 years old and above, possess good organization, communications and coordination skills, able to communicate in English with foreign volunteers and technically competent. Under 18s who successfully complete at least one term of coordination work may apply for the opportunity to teach in this program.
- Location: Online
- Training & support provided by Stepping Stones
For more information and questions regarding this program, please email our HCR Manager Julie Li at HCR@steppingstoneschina.net.
Other Ways to Get Involved