Since our early days, some of our more intrepid volunteers have asked for short-term placements in rural schools. These placements can be anything from one week to a whole school term.
Get to know another side of China, while participating in a rural individual volunteer assignment with Stepping Stones!
Teaching English in rural China
- Description: Volunteers are needed to teach fun English lessons to disadvantaged children and youth in rural China. Each class has about 15– 30 children in community centres and 40 – 50 students in schools.
- Time commitment: A minimum of one full week During school term (September-January, February-June) or summer holidays (July-August).
- Requirements: Minimum 18 years old. Speaking English well and confidently (native-level English NOT required); enjoying interacting with children and young adults. Volunteers need to individually arrange and pay for visa, insurance, meals, any international transport, etc. If teaching time is less than three weeks, volunteers need to cover all or part of the transport and accommodation costs individually.
- Location: Schools or community centres outside of Shanghai.
- Accommodation and domestic transport costs provided by Stepping Stones for placements of 3 weeks or more only.
- Training, resources & support provided by Stepping Stones. Training sessions are about teaching English, lesson planning, classroom management techniques, etc.
- Registration process: After registration all volunteers must complete our online Orientation, submit resume, sign a supplementary volunteer agreement, and participate in an interview. Those accepted will attend a briefing and training session and we will confirm dates and location for placement.
For more information and questions regarding this program, please email our RIV Program Manager, Ann Zhao at email@example.com