Stepping Stones is one of Shanghai’s biggest volunteering programs, providing English and digital literacy lessons to thousands of disadvantaged children in Shanghai and beyond.
Stepping Stones is looking for a qualified and committed candidate to fill the role of English Teaching Program Coordinator.
The successful applicant will have three main areas of responsibility:
- Coordinate the Shanghai English Teaching (SET) and the Rural Individual Volunteering (RIV) Programs, working closely with other staff members to implement the program’s strategic direction, operation and logistics as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Volunteer coordination, including volunteer recruitment, support, monitoring and recognition. Be familiar with, implement and update as necessary relevant policies, processes and volunteer coordination tools.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals, presentations and reports for internal and external stakeholders.
Since being founded in 2006, Stepping Stones has been organising classroom-based volunteering programs, including English teaching, in various schools and community centres for migrant, left-behind and other disadvantaged children in China. The SET Program is Stepping Stones’ earliest program for migrant and other disadvantaged children in Shanghai, while the RIV program deploys volunteers to teach English to rural and left-behind children in rural areas.
The Program Coordinator will play a crucial role in the planning, organising and execution of the program; being the main contact person for volunteers to liaise with. The Program Coordinator will report to the Senior Program Manager.
This is a full-time position with 5 working days a week, from Tuesday to Friday plus one weekend day during term-time, and Monday to Friday out of term-time.
This position provides an exciting opportunity for a qualified candidate to be involved in coordinating a volunteering program in a non-profit environment. Working or volunteering experience in non-profit organisations in China and/or teaching experience will be an advantage.
The candidate will report to the Senior Program Manager and work alongside other staff members connected to the relevant programs.
- Recruit volunteers by publicising volunteering opportunity through various channels, coordinating and attending volunteer recruitment events; as well as making connections with organisations which may potentially support the program.
- Screen volunteers, propose volunteering sites and allocate volunteers accordingly. Update volunteer database.
- Coordinate volunteers’ attendance and source for substitute volunteer teachers. Sub teach when needed.
- Organise social gatherings for volunteers. Issue volunteering certificates and recommendation letters.
- Handle reimbursement requests from volunteers, liaise with Finance Department on volunteer reimbursement policy and processes.
- Send regular communications volunteers to update, support and motivate the team.
- Organise photo and video documentation of volunteers.
- Supervise interns.
- Communicate with local partners and teachers on class schedule, site agreements, logistics and the day to day collaboration in general.
- Build and maintain relationships with partners and other non-profit organisations, source and assess new partners when suitable.
Site visits and volunteer trainings
- Organise volunteer trainings, in consultation with and working together with the Training Department. Deliver parts of the training on volunteer coordination and volunteer commitment.
- Conduct site visits and provide feedback to volunteers on ways to improve teaching quality. Assist with the roll-out of new teaching materials or curricula.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Assist the Program Director in the monitoring and evaluation work of the program. Facilitate the delivery of pre and post surveys to students and organise stakeholder interviews.
- Prepare program statistics each semester.
- Prepare presentations and reports for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Work experience in project coordination, in the non-profit sector, in volunteerism and in teaching will all be useful, but being a quick learner is more important;
- Native-level Chinese with strong oral and written communications in English;
- Strong organization skills, detail oriented and ability to multitask;
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team, multi-task, stay well-organized and adapt in an ever-changing sector/environment;
- Interest in the NGO sector / development / social issues / English teaching;
- Excellent work ethic with a positive and flexible attitude;
- Candidates from our beneficiary communities (from rural areas or low-income households) are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This is a full time position (five days a week with some weekend work. Overtime can be compensated with time off in lieu).
- To ensure the sustainability of the program, a long-term commitment is preferred. We require a commitment of at least one year, with the potential to extend the term of employment upon mutual agreement.
The candidate should ideally be available to start working for Stepping Stones by 1st April 2021.
The Program Coordinator will be based at Stepping Stones’ office at No 75, Leshan Road, Shanghai but will travel regularly to the schools and community centers. Occasional working from home may be possible.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be at local market levels in the non-profit sector and take into consideration the skills and experience of the successful applicant. Stepping Stones will provide all statutory benefits for Chinese nationals, or medical insurance for expatriates, plus 12 days annual leave in the first year of employment.
Candidates already based in Shanghai are preferred, noting that Stepping Stones is unable to cover relocation costs or assist with accommodation.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com by 15th March 2021 with a cover letter to explain your suitability for this job position, and why you are interested in it. English language or bilingual applications are preferred.